In conjunction with Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever’s celebration of National Hunting & Fishing week, host Bob St. Pierre and the organization’s Hunting Heritage Program Manger Colby Kerber take a deep dive into the hunting community’s R3 initiative with Matt Dunfee. Dunfee is the Wildlife Management Institute’s Director of Special Programs and one of the principle architects behind the R3 movement to address America’s precipitous decline in hunters. Colby also announces the organization’s launch of the Mentor Pledge
being sponsored by ALPS OutdoorZ.
- Colby shares his experience as a first-generation hunter and the memorable duck hunt in college that hooked him.
- Matt explains the Wildlife Management Institute’s role as a “think tank” for natural resources. He also discusses how that work led to a deep dive into the loss of hunters and potential ramifications for the rapid decline in license sales.
- Matt also details the struggles of the hunting community as its efforts successfully cloned middle aged white males but didn’t adapt to reflect America’s changing demographics.
- Bob and Matt also debate the comparison of hunting as a sport or a lifestyle and the ways to change the conversation to make it more inclusive.
- The group also discusses the importance of mentorship. As Matt says, “become a mentor, and your circle of friends will grow exponentially”.
- In the end, they review tips for mentors and how Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever can help hunters be mentors.
Take Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever’s Hunter Mentor Challenge
this hunting season!
SUBSCRIBE: APPLE PODCASTS / SOUNDCLOUD / STITCHER